This week has been pretty busy on the work front with lots of deadlines next week! However, I have found time to make this storage cube which I have been meaning to do for a while but have never found fabric I wanted to make it from! Due to being at uni my fabric stash is divided in two which is annoying at times and requires planning as to what to take where. I’m quite lucky to have quite a large room at uni with enough space to bring in my own small chest of drawers. This has enabled me to dedicate two of these drawers to fabric and crafty things! However I wanted to find a way to organise these drawers and separate out fat quarters from larger pieces of fabric for projects which I have yet to start… Anyway I found this pattern to make storage cubes a while ago on Pinterest and I noticed they had fabric in the cubes so I thought I would make up a trial one to see if it was the right size for fat quarters!
Let’s start with my fabric choice. Last weekend my sister came down and we ventured into town to do some shopping. Whilst there we visited The Flying Tiger, which is one of my favourite shops! To my surprise they had a selection of fat quarters for £1 each, yes that’s right £1! They were 100% cotton and didn’t feel coarse like some cheap cotton can. They had a number of different designs, mostly floral. I bought myself two of the same with a white background and pink flowers of various shades and dark red/brown leaves. I thought at this price it didn’t matter what I did with them and if it went wrong it’s not the end of the world. I decided to use one of these fat quarters and some dark red fabric scraps I had lying around.
I decided to do the base the same colour as the binding round the top, partly because it was a darker colour so wouldn’t show the dirt as much but also because I didn’t want to waste the pretty fabric on the bottom where no one would see it. The outside fabric has heavy weight interfacing attached to it. I used iron-on for the sides and a sew-on for the base. This was because I wanted to see how easy it was to stitch with the sew-on which I had bought as Fabric Land was out of the iron-on…
You start off by stitching all the sides together to make a tube before attaching the base. This bit was sightly challenging as I had to go back over some of the side seams to make sure there wasn’t any holes in the corners. Next you had to make the lining in the same way as the outside but without the interfacing, again relatively easy!
The lining is pinned inside the outer fabric wrong sides together and tacked together. I had some problems here as the instructions told you to cut out the lining squares 1/4″ smaller than the outer squares and it meant that the lining was too small for the outer. If I made it again I would cut the lining the same size as the outer and use a slightly bigger seam allowance to account for the need to be smaller on the inside.
Finally the binding. The instructions suggest that you use pre-made bias binding but I made my own binding which I didn’t cut on the bias to use up some fabric scraps! If I made it again I would make the binding wider than their suggest 1/4″ and I would add interfacing to help support the top and hopefully make it more square shaped rather than a square/circle! I then hand stitched the binding down on the inside.
As you can see you can get a lot of fabric in it! I was actually quite surprised with how much I managed to get in and there’s still space for more! It will definitely tidy up my fabric drawer and make all my fat quarters easier to see. When I was filling it I was thinking of all the other uses it could have other than fabrics from ribbons and zips to make-up and bottles! I will definitely be making it again at some point!
Overall the instruction were simple and easy to follow and made a good sized storage cube at the end of it. There were a few issues I found with it though, the main one being the lining is too small which is particularly noticeable when the fabric is in. This is because the lining is pulled taunt but the outer fabric still has a lot of slack. Other than this though it is a good pattern which I would recommend to anyone after a cube pattern. I’m tempted to adapt the sizing in future to make different size cubes, perhaps ones which stack! I’m quite tempted to invest in Torie Jayne’s book and see what else there is to make!